Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Burns of Yet Another Year...

So... here it comes another year in university.
Well, honestly I thought it was going to be easier this time around, and guess what?
It isn't! It HARDER! so much harder, because its everything you messed up in the first year, yet again! worse! because its all of it over and over again, but with the knowledge that you should be better, that you should know better!
Its like you're a failure right from the start.
I'd kinda felt that way last year to because I was a second stage student so I entered in the middle of the semester.
It was bad to try to choose the disciplines in a hurry and already have a couples of classes I couldn't take 'cause they were full, the worse part was the confusion, the feeling that I was doing it all on top of my knee, without really pondering my choices, and these were choices that really had a very important role in my academic life, come on!
These were the disciplines, the classes I was going to attend for an entire year, these were the professors which I had one year to learn all this stuff from!
And it was bad cause I felt like I wasn't caring enough about those choices, and since they would have great influence on my future, it was like I wasn't caring enough about my future...
And I care! I care, I am really concern, I'm in university to learn, not just to pass the year and get a degree.
So I felt really bad, but not as bad as the stigma that some of my teachers and even classmates passed, like for some reason just because a I entered in the middle of the semester I don't have as much right to be there as they do!
Well, screw them 'cause I so am! besides I only entered in the middle because I entered with my second stage exam results! even more, I only entered with those because I decided to try for an exam that wasn't even in my curriculum, and I just had such a great grade that I decided to enter University with that grade.
It just felt like the right thing to do at the time, and in the end it was. Still this is all in the past, I got over all this crap, all the pressure from my parents, my peers, my professors, well everyone really, but I prevailed and against the odds, succeed.
And arrived to the second year.
And its all the trouble I had the first time, yet again! God, its like a bad movie sequel!
AT UNIVERSITY PART II -or- THE WAYS UNIVERSITY FINDS TO SCREW WITH YOU! PART II. yeah, that's a good one!
Oh well, let me try to explain how this 'screw-with-the-students-mind' thing works: personally I think its all the bureaucracy, where the big problem starts.
First, a committed student just came out of vacations in Spain, with its parents (not my case, but it could be... if i was rich, which I'm not so i just had to spend my vacations here at old 'home sweet home' we're in crisis you know?) but either way, the student comes back from his or hers vacation time with plenty of time before the star of the scholar year, which only starts almost in the end of September.
But since this student is so committed to his or her studies he/she goes immediately on-line to check what are the dates to mark his/her classes, and until when he/she has to pay the entry fees.
And what happens? the entry fees have to be payed until something like 10 of August? what the fuck? you just think its a mistake of some sort 'cause it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever... but its not, its just the way it is! its university bureaucracy, it doesn't have to make sense, actually I think that's how they choose their rules and schedules and time-lines for payments and even the dates from the beginning, vacation times and ending of classes, they chose the ones who make the least sense!
Oh i can just imagine it! All the politicians and the bureaucrats and all the other people involved in this processes, just bundled up together in a tiny, tiny room with lots and lots of paper work, (because these kinds of people just love paper work!) discussing it:

"-So when shall we start the scholar year, this year?" say the professors, or the syndicates leaders that represent them.
"-Well i kind of have plans for August, i must be running my side business as a owner of a chain of hotels in Algarve, and August is such a great time for tourism, you know?-" says one of the politicians.
"-Okay then how about we start in September?"
"- Oh no September is a aw full time!-" say the bureaucrats"- That seems like a good time!people will be expecting it! It makes sense! and god forbid us from making decisions that actually make sense!"
But let's get back to business, as if all this wasn't enough, when the poor student goes to the university to see what he/she can do to fix this, he/she has to wait in a line for hours until he has wasted almost a day, only to be told that all the information on how to make the payments of the fees, can be found on-line, and thats actually the only way to do it, but to not be concerned because he/she is like the 40º person to come and ask about exactly the same thing!
And last year was the same thing!
Oh come on! this is ridicolous! last year it didn't work, this year aparently its not working either and this has been going on for ages!
Why am I not surprised about it?
Do these people even think?!

No comments:

Post a Comment