Thursday, May 17, 2012

3 am fires of love

Thoughts on the nature of love... What is love, and how can we tell, when it begins or where it ends? Do we know love if we see it? When we feel it? I daresay that you will not know love when it is offered to you, so intent will you be to experience Le Grand Amour-- the only sort of love fitting for the hero, for the main character of your own story. Drama and romance. And then, when you realise that the great passion that comes along with your drama is short lived, you will move on searching for the next happily ever after. You will never stay still enough to recognise true love when it’s presented. For it takes patience to detect subtlety. And love is nothing if not subtle. For love... love is telling a man he’s not pretty while stroking his face with a reverent touch. But there are many pretty men and women in the world; you of course dated enough of those to know. Yes, there certainly are pretty people, aren’t there? Pretty and dull. That is the way of things, the great divide for people. Or so I had believed, until the night I met you. You see, you have more than pretty looks, though you have those too. Like the Beast in the old fairytale, there is to you, more than meets the eye. Some sort of darkness, but not as in the fairytale, redeemed in the end, oh no, for I would not wish it so. For those kind of sweet fairytale endings are of a taste I have never cared to acquire. I much prefer the tangy flavour of truth. For we are children yes, but children of the world, and lies do not become us. Indeed I could not wish for you to be anything less than what you are. I would not dare to, for fear that if I did, and if you did, then perhaps you too would become pretty dull to me. Oh! Do keep your darkness, your hidden sides and shades. Leave to the poets, the children, the dreamers, and the romantics; the honeyed dispositions, the pretty profiles, the blond princes and virtuous knights in white horses, the serendipitous happily ever afters. For shadows, as any artist will tell you, create depth. --After 3 am, you should be in bed, I know I should. I should most certainly not be writing about anything at all. Do forgive me for any lack in grammar or coherence, they are all entirely and most sincerily my fault.--

No comments:

Post a Comment